Expecting a baby is one of the most memorable journeys of a woman’s life. The physical and hormonal changes that come along with it are unique. If you are pregnant, it is obvious for you to worry about labor& the pain you are going to face during the labor process. Modern medicine has brought about some revolutionary advancement that reduces the pain during childbirth to an acceptable level. This technique of normal delivery is known as Epidural Analgesia or painless normal delivery.
What is Painless Normal Delivery?
Painless normal delivery or delivery with labor analgesia (Epidural) is a technique where very specific concentration of drug is used. Although the drug reduces the pain, it maintains the ability to push your baby out through the birth canal. A needle and a very thin plastic tube (epidural catheter) are involved in this technique.The drug to reduce your pain is continuously administrated through this tube with the help of aninfusion pump.The primary aim of the epidural is to reduce the pain of contractions to an acceptable level. Epiduralanalgesia usually, alsoreduces the pain completely when your baby is delivered.
Advantages of Epidural Analgesia or Painless Normal Delivery –
- Less postpartum complications: By alleviating pain, it allows the mother to focus on the delivery. It is an aid for relaxation and can prevent exhaustion and irritation experienced by most women during childbirth, thereby reducing the risk of developing postpartum complications.
- Relaxes the muscles while delivery:Epidural analgesiahelpsthe baby descend easily by relaxing the pelvic and vaginal muscles.
- Lowers blood pressure of the mother: It also helps in lowering the blood pressure of the mother, which otherwise can rise to dangerous levels during labour.
- Beneficial for mothers with cardiac complications:Heavy pain may affect those mothers who have a history of cardiac complications or who are experiencing heart problem. In such cases, the painless delivery will be favourable.
- Less secretion of stress hormones: Due to the excessive torment and pain, the mother secrets more stress hormones which cause a great deal of irritation and distress to the child as well as the mother. Since, Epidural analgesiareduces the pain and torment, the amount of hormones produced will be very less and hence,both mother and child can be comfortable.
- Comfortable delivery option for elderly mothers (more than 30 years): The threshold of bearing pain decreases with aging. Hence, elderly mothers can take the advantage of normal child delivery with epidural analgesia or the painless delivery option.
How long does an epidural analgesialast?
The epidural analgesia lasts for as long as the catheter is in place and the woman receives the medication through it. However, a woman stops receiving the medication once her baby is delivered and the catheter is removed. In general, it takes around two to four hours for the numbness to wear off based on the dosage.
What should I do while planning for a painless normal delivery?
When you are planning to have a painless delivery, you should
- Choose a hospital or birth centre where epidural analgesia is available
- Beware of the type of pain relief that suits you the best
- Inform your doctor about allergic reactions, if any
NeotiaGetwel Healthcare Centre in Siliguri has a comprehensive Mother & Child Care Department performing Painless Normal Delivery by experienced Obstetricians & Gynaecologists, Anaesthesiologist and support team on board backed by Modern Delivery Room, Multidisciplinary team approach for high risk pregnancy, emergency delivery& other pregnancy related complication management, well baby nursery, antenatal consultation, level III NICU, 24 x 7 presence of Obstetrician & Gynaecologist, 24 x 7 presence of Neonatologist, Paediatric Surgeon & Sub Specialists. From pregnancy to post-delivery, we make sure that the mother and the child receive the compassionate care & best treatment.