When mercury levels soar, there are more chances of you suffering from digestion problems. Stomach cramps, constipation, bloating, gas, acidity and frequent heartburn are some of the many digestion related problems that summer brings along with it. While summer is the time to relish seasonal fruits and vegetables, it’s also important to keep your digestive system calm and cool. Here are a few tips to keep your gut happy and healthy this summer:
1. Eat fresh fruits and vegetables: A diet rich in fibre-containing foods can help keep your digestive system healthy and reduce the risk of constipation, bloating and gas. Eating fresh fruits and vegetables keep your bowels regular. Try to eat more whole grains, seasonal fruits and vegetables, lentils every day.
2. Have smaller, more frequent meals: It’s best to eat smaller and frequent meals during summers. Eating heavy meals at one go can burden your digestive system often leading to bloating. While the body finds it difficult to digest heavy meals at once, smaller meals rev up your metabolism. It also helps you avoid heartburn and acidity.
3. Avoid spicy food: While spicy food items can make your meal taste better, your gastrointestinal tract feels the real heat. When you eat very spicy food it can cause burning sensations and lead to frequent heartburn and acidity. If you frequently eat oily and spicy food, then you are at risk of developing acute gastritis.
4. Avoid fried food: All those fritters at your friend’s party may look sumptuous but they can play havoc with your digestive system. Fried food is often associated with heartburn. It’s best to completely avoid fried food during the summer. If you cannot avoid, then eat at home where oil is not reused. Reusing cooking oil can not only cause more acidity but it also increases your cholesterol levels.
5. Reduce caffeine intake: Hot beverages like tea and coffee can increase the heat in the body and, thus, dehydrate it. Caffeine is acidic in nature and too much tea and coffee can damage the lining of your digestive tract.
6. Avoid cold beverages: On a hot summer day, you may find it easy to grab a bottle of soda to quench your thirst. Carbonated drinks may give you a feeling of beating the heat. But in reality, they offset the suitable environment for the enzymes in the stomach to work properly. This leads to acid reflux and indigestion. It’s best to drink plain water at room temperature or have home-made drinks that do not contain caffeine, sugar and soda.
7. Keep yourself hydrated: Drinking a good amount of water is essential for digestion. Not only does water help to break food down, but it also helps to soften stool, preventing constipation. You are at high risk of suffering from constipation during summers because of dehydration. For a healthy bowel, make sure you drink an adequate amount of water every day.
Looking for a gastroenterologist in Siliguri?
If you are regularly experiencing abdominal pain, heartburn or acid reflux, bloating, and other digestive issues, you must see a gastroenterologist. If you are in Siliguri, visit Neotia Getwel Healthcare Centre. We have some of the best gastroenterologists in Siliguri. Our gastroenterology department offers comprehensive care for a wide range of gastrointestinal disorders & diseases.