Did you know that your veins have one-way valves? The function of the valves is to prevent blood from flowing backward. But at times, the veins do not work properly and cannot maintain the one-way blood flow. As a result, blood pools in the veins and cause them to bulge and protrude from the skin. This medical condition is known as varicose veins.
Looking for varicose vein treatment in Siliguri?
If you notice bulging veins in your legs and even in hands, the chances are high that you have varicose veins. To get a proper diagnosis of the condition, visit our hospital at NeotiaGetwel Healthcare Centre in Siliguri. We have some of the renowned Vascular Surgeon in Siliguri who can help you choose a proper treatment plan. Book an Appointment online with our Vascular Surgeon at https://www.neotiagetwelsiliguri.com/bookappointment/
Apart from the highly visible, bulging veins, there are several symptoms of varicose veins. These include:
• Blue and/or dark purple color of the veins on the calf and thigh.
• Swelling in the feet and ankles that occur as a result of soreness in the legs.
• Bleeding from the veins (in severe cases).
• Achiness around the enlarged veins.
• Persistent pain over or around the bulging veins.
It’s not possible to completely prevent varicose veins. However, there are several steps you can take to lower your risks. The steps include:
• Avoiding sitting or standing for a sustained period of time.
• Moving the legs every now and then with exercises such as walking and jogging.
• Avoiding sitting with the legs crossed.
• Maintain a healthy weight by eating a balanced diet and following an active lifestyle.
• Raise your feet with a pillow when sleeping to lower the pressure in the veins.
Although the specific cause of dysfunction of the valve in the veins is unknown, there are several factors that can influence the medical condition. These factors include:
• Family history of varicose veins
• Being at the age of 50 and above
• Gender; varicose veins are more common in women than in men
• Some job roles that require one to stand or sit for a long period of time
In mild cases of varicose veins where there’s no discomfort or any other symptoms, treatment may not be needed other than for cosmetic reasons. For people having moderate to severe varicose veins, these are the treatment options:
• Compression stockings
If you want to get rid of your varicose veins through a quick way that doesn’t involve medical procedures, you can consider compression stockings as an option. Compression stockings are designed to provide a gradual compression and push the blood upward.
• Laser treatment
Surgeons often choose laser treatment for treating small varicose veins. During the surgery, the surgeon directs the high-precision laser at the affected veins which causes them to gradually close.
Another surgical procedure doctors consider as a treatment option is stripping (also known as vein ligation). The surgery involves making incisions on the skin, cutting the varicose veins, and removing them through the same incision.
Know more about varicose vein treatment in Siliguri
The Department of Vascular Surgery has some of the best vascular surgeons in Siliguri who can help you get relief from varicose veins with the right treatment plan.